The Golden Rules of Investing are essentially a common sensical approach which largely comes down to the emotional aspects such as Discipline, Patience, Greed & Fear.
Remember these 10 golden rules of Investing.
1. Risk is inevitable – What is Risk? Understanding Risk is the first part and then learning to Manage it.
2. Start early – Benefit from compounding. Einstein has acknowledged Compounding as the 8th wonder of the world.
3. Have realistic expectations – Greed is bad. How much is too much. You never know what is enough, until you know what is more than enough.
4. Invest regularly – Not even God can time the markets. Timing/Forecasting the markets is an illusion.
5. Stay Invested – Be a marathon runner. Markets tests patience and rewards conviction.
6. Don’t churn your investments – It only increases costs. If you like gambling, go to a casino. For serious investing, stay put.
7. Spread your corpus – Each investment class is important. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
8. Sell your losers – Hope doesn’t make money, Wisdom does. We are biased against actions that lead to regret. People attach too much weight to gains and losses rather than wealth.
9. Hot tips usually burn your investments – Avoid them. Remember the reverse of TIP is PIT. So a tip usually dumps you in a PIT almost always.
10. Taxes are important – But not at the cost of a bad investment. Only Death and Taxes are certain, true ~ But don’t make bad investments just to save tax. Don’t be Penny Wise Pound Foolish.